A Sr Construction Project Planner (internally Project Coordinator/PC) is tasked with managing the construction process from the time a customer signs a project until the time it is handed off to in-field management to be executed. The PC is responsible for delivering a comprehensive project plan and coordinating important project aspects before breaking ground on the project, The PC will work with the customer, designers, subcontractors and vendors to mature the project design and scope, high level schedule, account for all costs, and specify all material selections. As the PC you will own the planning of each project up until it is mature enough to start work. Project Coordinators must be detail oriented, able to prioritize, and solve problems on the fly, and be able to talk with customers about constructions topics in plain english.
Desired Employment Outcomes
- Exceed customer satisfaction rating goal of 55+ NPS
- Maintain a budget to estimate cost ratio of less than 5%
- Maintain an average planning workload of 10 projects at a time
Essential Functions of a Project Coordinator
- Own transition the project from the sales and estimation phases to the planning phase. Meet with key process owners (sales, estimators, designers) and customer to review all project details. Walk the site with sales and customer to sync project expectations and scope.
- Identify project shortcomings and risks before project begins. This includes examining the accepted bid, critical project variables, potential risks to profitability. The PC will also work with management to craft risk mitigation strategies when needed.
- Develop comprehensive structured project plan to be approved and in place before project start. This plan will be created in accordance will all scope shown in the accepted bid and information transitioned from the sales and estimation teams. It will include formalizing scope, schedule and budget for the project.
- Assign resources to carry our labor tasks
- Identify resource requirements
- Solicit RFP and select bids for labor tasks
- Reconcile labor costs with planned costs
- Create and maintain specific action lists derived from the plan.
- Scope is complete
- Margin goals can be met
- Customer decisions are closed
- At risk areas in the budget and schedule are identified and mitigated
- Customer is ready to move forward
- Material Selection for PM - product specs (color, model #, supplied by, costs, etc.)
- Customer Decision List - needed actions from client (Material or design selection description, need by date, and allowances)
- Contact List for Project Team - contact information for all project participants
- Issue Tracking List - list of estimation and process issues or misses or ongoing issues to be solved.
- Identify and initiate permits.
- Initiate COs for any scope changes encountered as the plan and project designs mature
- Verify that the plan is complete and ready to execute. Present for approval.
- Transition the plan to the Project Manager for execution. Meet with the PM to discuss the plan details and project risks. The PM will sign off on the project budget, schedule, and milestones before breaking ground..Meet with customer to transition project.
- Regularly meet with the customer to drive the plan to maturity. Review project selections, schedule, and design decisions
- Provide Executive Level Feedback on Overall Operations. Provide feedback on process (job types and locations), software tools, management structure, or any other related items which can lead to efficiency and growth.
- Attend Regularly Scheduled Company Meetings
- Drive Job Performance Metrics
- 10+ years of experience in the construction or home services industry management
- 3+ years of experience developing and reviewing bids on residential project
- 5+ year of experience directly hiring and managing contractors and subcontractors
- A valid State driver’s license with a current satisfactory driving record
- Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check
Other Required Skills
- Solid interpersonal skills along with excellent communication skills (Must be proficient in the English language)
- Good listener and able to accurately transmit information
- Strong problem solving skills
- Highly organized with strong time management skills
- Eager to learn and take on additional responsibility
- Extremely dependable and reliable, must be flexible to work during emergency situations
- Own an established network of local subcontractors, vendors and potential employees
- 4 year degree or better
- MBA or other advanced degree
- Experience running own general contracting business