Resin.io provides a software platform that helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our IoT toolkit ever since.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from drones, 3D printers, point-of-sale devices, tidal turbines, skyscrapers and more. Our investors include DFJ, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Resin is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company. We rely on clear communication and the rule of “assume positive intent” to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization we are fluid, changing teams and projects as dictated by the needs of the company -- when we find problems we adapt as a company. Right now, we create project-based teams to build complex features and solve big problems. We are looking for people who want to bring us even more diversity, and strongly encourage applications from people underrepresented in tech.
On being a senior engineer at resin
We maintain a service infrastructure for IoT devices, and this is where we have quite a bit of our engineering talent. While resin.io focuses on IoT, the majority of our senior engineers don't require embedded programming expertise.
People who are successful as senior engineers are well-rounded generalists. Senior engineers are capable of designing, architecting and own the execution of one or more projects. You are eager to take responsibility for a project, and are able to make good decisions about the project because you have the context of what’s important.
resin.io has a complex, interdependent system of systems, and we think senior engineers should want to build with the entire company in mind, using and enhancing the libraries that are shared across projects. We actively value investment in our own technology.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we’d rather learn than let our assumptions get in our way.
- You have extremely good problem-solving abilities. You know how to split a complex problem into incremental pieces.
- You have the software engineering skills to solve problems.
- You can execute and complete software projects.
- You understand and apply good software engineering practices (version control, linters, tests, good commit messages)
- You are comfortable presenting and discussing ideas with fellow resineers.
- An excellent written communicator, fluent in English.
- You are able to work remotely, with a remote team around the world.
- You understand how your work fits into the product as whole, and you’ll raise a flag if it’s not making sense.
Skills we’re looking for
- You understand the high level goals, and thus know how to prioritize your and potentially your team’s work.
- You think about how to make yourself and others more effective, you’d be bothered by an inefficient process.
- You separate ego from critique of your work and decisions, and can articulate criticism of others’ work and decisions well.
- Interest in Node.js, Rust, Linux
- Experience leading a software project
Bonus points for the following
- Leadership experience, like leading a team, mentoring, helping people reach agreement
- Contributions to OSS projects (please include a URL)
- A sample of your work (URL or attached sample)
- Having worked remotely before
- Interest in embedded systems
About working at resin
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
Salary range: USD$40-70k. We're an international company, and our salaries vary relative to our locations. This salary range is broad, your location will be a factor and we make salary exceptions in extraordinary cases. We can discuss this more, later in the interview process.
- Work with extremely talented, diverse team
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible working hours
- Flexible vacation policy
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!
Does this sounds like you? If so, please apply! In your cover letter, tell us (in a paragraph) about a time you were able to problem-solve something complicated. We’re looking for intricate problems of any kind, explained concisely.