Research Associate II at Synthetic Genomics
La Jolla, CA, US
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Research Associate II to join our fast-growing, dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The RA II will work within the Viral Systems Unit, which focuses on the development of novel RNA-based vaccines in the fields of emerging diseases and cancer. This position will assist in developing, performing, and interpreting in vitro characterization and immunoassays to assess the activity and immunogenicity and efficacy of vaccine candidates and formulations. This position requires strong cellular immunology expertise with demonstrated research productivity to support the design and generation of experimental vaccines. Previous experience with virology and viral vector construction will be considered a plus. Excellent verbal, presentation, and written communication skills are essential and the capability to effectively work in a team environment is required. This position may require limited travel to collaborator sites for preclinical study oversight.
• Biochemical or cellular immunological assays (e.g. ELISpot, flow cytometry, proliferation, cytotoxicity, etc.)
• Protein expression analysis techniques (e.g. protein concentration determination, Western Blot, ELISA, IHC)
• Mammalian cell culture and transfection/transduction.
• Human blood PBMC isolation and culture
• Recombinant virus production and/or characterization
• In vivo studies using different model organisms (e.g. mouse, rat, hamster, ferret)
• Coordinating external contract research organizations or research with labs across different geographic locations
• Outstanding experiment design, problem-solving, and data analysis skills
• Able to effectively multitask and advance various projects simultaneously
• Supports scientists in assay development
• Strong ability to work independently and develop an expanding technical and theoretical knowledge base
• Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, and organizational skills
Education and Work Experience:
• Requires a BS in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Immunology, Virology or related field, Master’s degree preferred. PhD level candidates will not be considered for this position.
• Requires a minimum of three-years relevant laboratory experience in industry or academia
• Highly capable in techniques commonly used in molecular/cell biology and immunology
• Proficiency in aseptic techniques
• Detail oriented with an ability to independently record scientific progress
• Biosafety level 2 experience is preferred
• Must be willing to engage in limited travel as part of the position (up to 15%)