Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet’s mission is to image the whole world every day and make global change visible, accessible and actionable.
Planet builds compact satellites and has launched the largest fleet of satellites in history to do this. We control every component of hardware design and manufacturing, so our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
With our humble beginnings in a Cupertino Garage, to a scrappy team of engineers hacking our initial satellite builds, we now find ourselves with brand new technology and market traction for our revolutionary web-based platform. Customers now have insight into the massive data we are collecting from space as well as the opportunity to perform advanced analytics and solve difficult problems with new insights.
In the pursuit of building a company that is literally changing the world, we’re seeking a dynamic Human Resources and People Operations leader to join our team to drive our people-centric approach toward culture and community. This exciting opportunity will involve the ownership and development of our company's people strategy and enable our accelerated growth trajectory.
As the Vice President of People you will own all People functions at Planet. In this leadership role you’ll craft and deliver the strategic roadmap for all of our People programs. You will serve as a trusted advisor to the Founders & C-Suite providing coaching and guidance from a People point of view.
As VP of People, you will be Planet’s culture champion and build a People function that delivers a competitive advantage for our business while establishing Planet as an employer of choice. You will influence & develop organizational structure, strategic People programs and employee development across the business. Additionally, you’ll mentor & coach a team of talented People Partners, People Operations & Talent Acquisition professionals to maximize their impact on the business while achieving their full potential as HR professionals.
Successful candidates for this role will have experience scaling fast-paced tech companies and excel at leading through ambiguity while providing guidance and leadership at the C & Board level. They will also be a natural coach and developer of talent both within the leadership team and the broader company.
This is a once in a career opportunity to shape the direction of a mission driven company with enormous potential!
Key Responsibilities & Areas of Ownership:
- Comprehensive ownership of Planet’s People functions and the performance of the People team; develop and execute a best in class People strategy enabling value added business results
- Develop high performing People programs across all core People functions to include; consultative People Partnership, Talent Acquisition, Total Rewards and People Operations
- Function as a strategic business partner to Planet’s Founders and Leadership Team; advise, coach and mentor organizational leaders on all elements of the People function and People operations.
- Evaluate and advises on the impact of short- and long-term planning pertaining to new programs/strategies and associated regulatory action while being mindful of the impact on attraction, motivation, development and retention of Planet’s People
- Develop Gender Balance, Diversity and Inclusion programs that facilitate an inclusive, unbiased environment where team members of all backgrounds are valued and provided the opportunity to contribute thought leadership
- Develops talent planning models to identify competency, knowledge and talent gaps and develop specific Learning & Development programs to fill the identified gaps. Areas of activity will include talent management through proper succession planning programs for key contributor and management positions, training and development programs for preparing employees for more significant responsibilities, and general business development programs to enhance employee knowledge and understanding of the business of the company
- Develops appropriate policies and programs for effective management of Planet’s People resources. This includes programs for employee relations, affirmative action, sexual harassment, external education and professional development, among others
- Evaluate, enhance and/or develop People policies and procedures pertaining to the management of HRIS systems; facilitate necessary reporting and data management capabilities for critical analyses of the People function and the people resources of the organization
- Ensure organizational competency as it pertains to State and Federal law, international People policies, programs and issues; facilitate the effective integration of domestic and international policies and programs
- Provide subject matter expertise on other People areas such as relocation, employee communication, employee health & welfare and immigration/work authorization
Required Professional Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in areas of Human Resources, I/O Psych, Law or Business-
- 10+ years of progressively complex People operations and human resources experience
- 2-3+ years of international human resources experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience as a human resource executive with appropriate industry experience, preferably in a strongly sales-oriented environment that has demonstrated success operating at a strategic level along with extensive knowledge of all human resources functions
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual that is highly ethical
- A strategic planner with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus
- A well-organized and self-directed individual who is a team player
- An intelligent and articulate individual who can relate to people at all levels of an organization and possesses excellent communication skills
- A good educator who is trustworthy and willing to share information and serve as a mentor.
- An excellent facilitator who is experienced in building collaborative, cohesive team environments with a rich inclusive culture
- Ability to analyze, interpret and synthesize complex human resource related data and provide meaningful business insights